Friday, January 28, 2011

Inns of Court

Spring and I were rather drawn to the regal-ness of this walk's name. (Okay, and the fact that it is also estimated to be the fastest may have something to do with it too....just maybe. Though if this was the case, Mother Nature sure had her way of bestowing justice upon us--it was freezing this day.) Doesn't the name just seem grandeur and historically significant? Well that's because it is, in London's purest form. This walk celebrates the four Inns in London, one to which every lawyer (or "barrister" as the Brits call it) must be a member to. In days long past, let's say like 14th century, they use to house, school, dine, and ecclesiastically uplift all their members--now they act mainly as professional law offices. I wish I had known this while walking, but the textbook seems to think I am some sort of historical protege....which I clearly am not. Instead we were left to make up our own tid-bits of information to suffice our curious minds and avert thoughts regarding the cold.




It was quite a ball for the two of us.

This street was named after Milford, or "Aunt Millie" as the barristers of the late 19th century used to call her. She and her husband owned a bakery in this exact spot and provided special pastries and pies for the young, budding scholars close by. There is good evidence that she frequently rewarded the boys at Lincoln's Inn with a few free extras (they are my own personal preference too).



This is the elaborately decorated light post that Aunt Millie magically enchanted to provide cups of hot cocoa to Lincoln advocates (like us!) on the day she was executed by the uprising barristers of other Inns who caught onto her favoritism. Did I mention yet that she was a rather gifted witch? Well, she was.



I wish I had more pictorial documentation of the other fabulous tales we told; there was a rather clever one regarding a unicorn trapped inside a trinket unknown in the Old Curiosity Shop, where Aunt Millie derived her power. (It's also the place where Charles Dickens was inspired for his novel. I don't think he has ever skipped a beat.)

And this is a more serious picture of me by the Royal Court of Justice. There is no room to embelish details here; I was afraid of being accused of libel and being sentenced to death....I think British historical literature may or may not be influencing these darker thoughts.



Anyhow, I'm sorry this walk AND this post are so weird. We just thought we'd mix it up a little. I was really impressed with the Inns of Court, even causing this once law school-minded student to rethink her decision (for a moment, at least).

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Spring did manage to get her magic cup of hot cocoa in the end. She was quite a happy girl.



Fin.

2 comments:

The Old CWT said...

Thanks for the fanciful and entertaining walk report, Hayley. I'm sorry the weather punished you and Spring, but I'm glad she was finally able to have her hot chocolate.

Lula. said...

You are oh-so clever.